Thursday, June 14, 2012

Neck Wrap/Scarf/Collar

Follow Me on Pinterest

Call it what you want – but basically it’s a neck accessory

As you saw in an earlier posting, I’m participating in a craft exchange. I wanted to make my giftee something unique and challenge myself with crafting something new. During a Pinterest session, I came across some darling crocheted neck warmers. I contemplated learning how to crochet again, but then reminded myself to FOCUS, you know how to sew SO do that! But what I took away were the basic ideas and dimensions.

Wrap/scarf/collar Supplies:
  • ¼ yd of 44/45” fabric
  • Coordinating thread
  • Velcro (or another kind of closure)
Whatcha gotta do:
  1. With right sides together, fold the piece of fabric lengthwise so it is now 22” long.
  2. Sew along the (3) raw edges with ½” seam allowance, making sure to leave at least 2” unsewn so you can turn fabric right-side out.
  3. Clip corners and press seam (makes for less bulky corners and crisp seam appearance).
  4. Turn fabric right-side out and press seam again.
  5. Top stitch. I lengthen the stitch a bit and sew about 1/8” from the edge.This will also close the 2" opening you left for turning the fabric out.
 Steps 4 and 5 are a little extra work but I really think it makes the piece look professional.

Play with the scarf on your neck to decide how you want it to lay. I overlapped it so that it closed closer to my neck while the bottom half fanned out. While looking in the mirror, I place pins where the Velcro should be placed. I used sticky sided Velcro, but I added a pump of hot glue just to make sure it isn’t going anywhere!

YoYo Flower Supplies:
  • (2) swatches of fabric
    • 5.5” circle
    • 4.5” circle
  • Thread
  • Needle
  • Button

There is a super simple and great tutorial on how to make these here. I layered two of the YoYos, because I thought it made it a little more fantastic. Rather than sew a button into the center as was done in the tutorial, I again referred to my hot glue gun – squeezed a bit in the opening of the top flower and fit the button in.

Glue gun encounter #3 – I wanted the flower to be removable, so when/if I make more down the road “in my spare time” and I mix and match. So I bought some pin backs like this, and glued the flower to it… And then the flower to the neck wrap/scarf/collar, or whatever you want to call it… Cute?!

No comments:

Post a Comment